Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Better ToDo List

I haven't been a very good wife or mom lately.

I like to blame it on lots of things:
not enough sleep
too much sleep
not working out
working out too much
(you can laugh at that one)
not getting enough to eat
eating ridiculously
disobedient girls
loud girls
hyper girls

In times like these, I also enjoy utilizing the if-onlys:
If only,
...the girls would do what they're supposed to do in the morning.
...Bill would help out just a little bit more.
...I woke up 15 minutes ago.

ToDo lists often consume me.
Keeping up with the house can be overwhelming.
Scheduling for a family of six is complicated.
It's not likely that these things will change.

However what I can change is how I react when: 
Espy requests a drawing partner 
Gianna asks me to jump on the trampoline 
Isabella wants to play a game 
Evangeline longs for some cuddle time 
or
Bill urges me to step away from what I'm doing and spend some time with him.

I don't want our girls to know me as the person who checked things off her list,
or my husband to remember how great I was at multitasking.
These are precious times that I'm letting slip away.

I recently read a post (Heather has a great blog!) that referenced this post.  Heather writes,
For 16 years a teacher asked her students to make a list of the things their parents did to make them feel loved and valued.  This teacher kept the writings of her students and compiled them into one list:
  1. Come into my bedroom at night, tuck me in and sing me a song.
    Also tell me stories about when you were little.
  2. Give me hugs and kisses and sit and talk with me privately.
  3. Spend quality time just with me, not with my brothers and sisters around.
  4. Give me nutritious food so I can grow up healthy.
  5. At dinner talk about what we could do together on the weekend.
  6. At night talk to me about about anything; love, school, family etc.
  7. Let me play outside a lot.
  8. Cuddle under a blanket and watch our favorite TV show together.
  9. Discipline me. It makes me feel like you care.
  10. Leave special messages in my desk or lunch bag.

    Please note that
    walking on a spotless floor,
    participating in every activity known to man,
    and opening a drawer full of freshly laundered (and recently folded) clothing

    didn't make the list.

    I'm thankful for a God who always extends grace
    and for four sweet girls and a husband who overflow with forgiveness.

    Here's to making more memories like the one pictured above.

No comments: