Thursday, May 2, 2013

It's "Make for Other People" Kind of Good

I am not a fantastic cook at all.  In fact, I don't know what Bill and I ate during the early years of our marriage.  Seriously - did I ever cook in the kitchen of our first apartment?  (Possibly a handful of times.)  I suppose I've grown up just a little bit because I do like to cook for our family now.

This chicken is amazing times 49.8 - probably more than that.  Everyone in our family loves it - every. single. one. - and that's an amazing thing with eaters that are sometimes picky.

I think The Pioneer Woman is phenomenal, and I have several of her recipes in my cooking repertoire - if you will.  This one is from one her friends, and it's easy AND scrumptious.  It's one of our favorite things to have for dinner, and it's one of our go-to entrees when we bring meals to people.

Herb Roasted Whole Chicken
(adapted from The Pioneer Woman's recipe)
3-4lb whole chicken
something to stuff inside the chicken
(I typically use a granny smith apple, an onion, garlic, and a lemon - all coarsely chopped.)
2-3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1-2 tablespoons of your choice of herbs
(I use whatever we have on hand - but sage, rosemary, and thyme are amazing.)
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
Place herbs into a bowl.
Add the salt, pepper, and oil - and mix well.
Stuff the aromatics (apple, onion, etc.) into the chicken.
Pat the whole chicken dry with a clean cloth or paper towel
to help form a nice crust on your chicken.
Rub the chicken down with your herb mixture.
Bake at 450 for an hour or until the chicken is golden brown and has developed a crust.

Carve and enjoy the amazingness you just created.
(This is great served with a salad or a vegetable dish & rolls or cornbread.)
The leftovers are equally scrumptious.
As a bonus to your momma's heart (if your'e a momma) - your little might exclaim,
Delicious!
as she eats her dinner like our Evangeline did tonight.

No comments: