Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Only One Doesn't Like It

My friend gave me this recipe a few years ago (Thanks, Lisa!).  I always have to ask her to send it to me when I want to make it because I can't seem to remember where I "saved" it.
Now I'll know where to find it.

Isabella is not a fan of this meal, but she pushed through last night and managed to
eat her dinner so she could have her dessert.  Good girl.

One out of six sounds like good odds to me - so this recipe's a keeper for our family:

Sweet and Sour Chicken
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds chicken parts
soy sauce
water
1 8oz can pineapple chunks, drained (juice reserved)
1 bell pepper, sliced
approximately:
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup sliced mushrooms
any other veggies you'd like or happen to have on hand (broccoli, carrots, etc.)
1 1/2 to 2 cups sweet and sour sauce (recipe below)
hot cooked rice
Place chicken in a large shallow baking dish.
Sprinkle generously with soy sauce.
Add water to baking dish to about 1/4 inch depth.
Top chicken with the veggies, pineapple, reserved pineapple juice, and bell pepper.
Pour sweet and sour sauce over the chicken.
Bake at 400 degrees until chicken is cooked through.
(The recipe calls for 50-60 minutes, but I usually bake it 30-40 minutes
depending on how large my chicken portions are.)
Serve with rice.

Sweet and Sour Sauce
(from allrecipes.com)
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
2 tablespoons cornstarch
Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
Stir continuously until the mixture has thickened.

Enjoy the delicious that you just made.

No comments: