Monday, February 8, 2010

Birthday Girl

It's hard to believe my Espy is six years old.
It makes me feel sad, old, and sentimental all at the same time.

What happened to this little "eat those cheeks up" baby girl?Really?
Six?
Six years?

We had lasagna that night before she was born.
Don't be impressed - it was Stouffer's.
I told Bill I was feeling weird.
He got sick - literally.

We went to bed, and I couldn't fall asleep.
I just couldn't get comfortable.
I kept having to go to the bathroom - every few minutes.
Weird.
I finally (somewhat) realized that this baby was coming.

I woke Bill up, and we got ready to go to the hospital.
Of course, being baby number one, I had to call my prenatal class instructor just to make sure we were doing the right thing.
We were.

She told me we should go to the hospital, but not to rush.
I was adamant about taking a shower - it was three o'clock (or so) in the morning. I had to be shower fresh for my firstborn, right? Right.
This was my last shower without kids - EVER!
I didn't even realize it.

We headed to the hospital and did all those
"get ready, your baby's coming!" things.
Bill got sick - again.
Poor Bill.

The contractions started coming.
GOOD gracious.
Let me say this up front,
women who have babies without drugs amaze me.
You rock.
I, for one, was not going to have an epidural -
until I had one of those contractions that was off the charts
(you mommies know what I'm talking about).
Orange popsicles
and the epidural
became my best friends that night.

Bill might have gotten sick one more time.
I'll have to ask him to make sure,
but he's not home right now -
so let's just say he did.

It was great having so many friends and family there cheering me on.
It might have freaked Bill out a bit, but I enjoyed the company.

Well after a few hard pushes, we had that baby -
sweet, little
Esperanza Charisse.
Esperanza is my maiden name,
and it means hope in Spanish.
Charisse means grace in French.
We like to call her Espy -
yes, just like the Espy Awards.

She's an amazing little girl,
and I'm not just saying that because she's my twin.

Happy Birthday to Our Espy!

No comments: