Tuesday, January 3, 2012

These Are Not New Year's Resolutions

Photo Source
I don't make New Year's Resolutions.
I'm not a huge fan of setting goals, commitments, objectives,
or anything like that when January 1st rolls around
(which is weird because I'm sometimes OCD).

Call me a realist (or maybe even a pessimist?),
but when it come to NYRs - I refuse.
Thanks, but no thanks.

I think part of it might be my Type A personality
(a temperament marked by excessive competitiveness and ambition, an obsession with accomplishing tasks quickly, little time for self-reflection, and a strong need to control situations).

By the way, you wouldn't think I was such a Type A if you saw our house right now -
but that's a subject for another time.

I know myself too well.  At the hint of failure, I'm done.
If I miss one step of the process, I'm out.
If I even sniff doubt in the air, I'm through.
If things don't happen just so in this specified amount of time,
it's obvious that it's not going to get done so why even bother?

It really is a terrible way to view things, isn't it?
I continually pray that He can use my personality for Him,
and that I don't use it as a device to torture my friends and family.

Despite my desire not to voice big plans for 2012,
I still have thoughts on what this year could hold: 

discovering new recipes
bettering my mind
blogging consistently 
getting in shape 
strengthening my relationship with God 
becoming the person (neighbor, wife, mother, friend) that He wants me to be 

We'll see how these intentions pan out.  Until then - thank goodness for a God who still loves me when I fail miserably at my non-resolutions, and for the grace and strength He gives me to reach some of those pseudo-goals.

Here's to anticipating what this New Year holds for all of us!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I feel similarly about New Year's resolutions. So much pressure on something when the common assumption is failure. Hmph.

Grace said...

Exactly! Case in point: I didn't go the gym Monday morning. I haven't worked out the rest of this week since I didn't "start" on Monday, of course. So ridiculous!