Sunday, November 11, 2012

Thankful (10)


Ever since I was a little girl, I've had a great love of books.  When there is even just a minute to spare in carpool line or at piano lessons or a doctor's appointment, I sneak in a few paragraphs of the book(s) I happen to be reading.

There's nothing like the written word that can bring out so many different emotions:

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view
. . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

And so we stood together like that, at the top of that field for what seemed like ages, not saying anything, just holding each other, while the wind kept blowing and blowing at us, tugging our clothes, and for a moment, it seemed like we were holding onto each other because that was the only way to stop us from being swept away into the night.
Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro

Dying for something is easy because it is associated with glory. Living for something is the hard thing. Living for something extends beyond fashion, glory, or recognition. We live for what we believe.
Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality - Donald Miller

If we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus.
Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian SpiritualityDonald Miller

Awake.  Love.  Think.  Speak.  Be walking trees.  Be talking beasts.  Be divine waters.
The Magician's NephewC.S. Lewis

It is true that God may have called you to be exactly where you are.  But, it is absolutely vital to grasp that he didn’t call you there so you could settle in and live your life in comfort and superficial peace.
Forgotten God: Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy SpiritFrancis Chan

I cannot give you credit for any philosophy of the kind. Your retrospections must be so totally void of reproach, that the contentment arising from them is not of philosophy, but, what is much better, of innocence. But with me, it is not so. Painful recollections will intrude which cannot, which ought not, to be repelled. I have been a selfish being all my life, in practice, though not in principle. As a child I was taught what was right, but I was not taught to correct my temper. I was given good principles, but left to follow them in pride and conceit. Unfortunately an only son (for many years an only child), I was spoilt by my parents, who, though good themselves (my father, particularly, all that was benevolent and amiable), allowed, encouraged, almost taught me to be selfish and overbearing; to care for none beyond my own family circle; to think meanly of all the rest of the world; to wish at least to think meanly of their sense and worth compared with my own. Such I was, from eight to eight and twenty; and such I might still have been but for you, dearest, loveliest Elizabeth! What do I not owe you! You taught me a lesson, hard indeed at first, but most advantageous. By you, I was properly humbled. I came to you without a doubt of my reception. You shewed me how insufficient were all my pretensions to please a woman worthy of being pleased.
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Prince Ronald said, “Elizabeth, your hair is all dirty. You are wearing an ugly paper bag. You don’t have any shoes on and you smell like a dragon’s ear. Come back and rescue me
when you’re dressed like a real princess.”

Elizabeth said, “Ronald, your hair is all nice. Your clothes are all pretty. You look like a nice guy,
but guess what? You are a bum.”

They didn’t get married after all.
The Paper Bag Princess - Robert Munsch

Thankful for good books that exercise the mind and stir the soul.

No comments: